|October 16, 2013||Posted by steveparkhurst under gop, Republicans|
By Joe Gruters
Nothing like watching malicious ineptitude at a staggering level in Washington, D.C. make us grateful for a responsible, functioning, productive state government in Tallahassee.
And by “functioning,” we mean:
- A government that gets out of the way of citizens and protects the rights of all its residents to pursue dreams in business, with private property, in religious activity;
- A government that protects rights rather than continually erodes them;
- A government that allows its citizens to protect themselves;
- A government that does not nanny every Floridian as though we are incapable toddlers, but expects a certain degree of personal responsibility;
- A government that at least tries to keep dangerous criminals off the streets and aggressively goes after pill mills, bath salts, drug dealers, gangs and human traffickers;
- A government that attempts to ensure only legal voters cast ballots in a democracy instead of pursing policies that will ensure voter fraud on a broad scale;
- A government that actually is open, transparent and in the sunshine, not one that just blathers on about it but consistently acts in secret;
- A government that is reducing its onerous drag on the productive and the law-abiding;
- A government that spends at most only the money that it brings in and lives within its budget!
That is a functioning government.
The non-functioning part of what is going on in D.C. right now is not that there is a government shutdown or a looming debt ceiling. Those are only symptoms that have come about because of a government that is aloof, elitist and not answerable to the American people, aided and abetted by a Beltway media establishment that has lost in watchdog ways.
What should be crystal clear is that this “crisis” has resulted from a government led by Democrats that is incapable of restraining spending. In the sequestration, we are still spending far more than we bring in. Now, in the quasi, kind of, sort of, partial government shutdown and attack on veterans, Democrats refuse to negotiate on anything until they get everything.
That is dysfunctional because it is utterly irresponsible and in opposition to the best interests of the American people, and has been for many years.
Florida can’t save the union, but at least it is doing things right for the state in every measurable category. And the reason is simple: Florida is run on conservative principles led by a competent Gov. Rick Scott. D.C. is run on liberal principles led by a with less-than-competent President Obama.
Thanks for being informed and engaged.